If you’re looking to upgrade your home gym with a versatile piece of workout equipment, the best weight bench might make you never want to head back to the gym. Weight benches provide support while you target your muscles to build strength and endurance. There are several different types of weight benches, such as flat weight benches, adjustable weight benches (a.k.a. flat-incline-decline weight benches), and Olympic weight benches.
“Weight benches are an essential piece of home gym equipment. They open the door for much more versatility in your weightlifting routine, including upper and lower body work with dumbbells, barbells, and body weight,” Rachel MacPherson, an ACE-certified personal trainer with Garage Gym Reviews, tells SELF. “You can use them to support your back during hip thrusts, as a platform for step-ups, to support your body during seated movements like shoulder presses, bench presses, and flies, as well as chest support during spider curls and chest-supported rows. Benches are also useful for unilateral exercises like Bulgarian split squats, single-arm rows, and leaning lateral raises.”
What to look for when buying a weight bench
Benches come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and configurations so when you’re looking for a weight bench, MacPherson recommends keeping your budget and needs in mind. Whichever you choose ultimately depends on your experience, fitness goals, and the exercises you’d like to implement into your workout routine.
- Type: You should consider whether you’d like: a straightforward option that simply provides a strong and stable base for workouts; adjustability for a wide range of exercises and different angles; an all-in-one option that allows you to lift heavy; or an option to target specific muscles with extra attachments. For example, flat benches don’t adjust for angles, MacPherson says, making them less versatile than adjustable benches. With an incline or decline on adjustable benches, you can target your muscle groups from slightly different angles than you could with a flat bench.
- Durability: “A good weight bench will be solid, sturdy, and versatile. It won’t be too narrow or short either, so it can be used by a range of body types,” MacPherson says. “Padding and other materials are key to look at as well. Look for sturdy materials and solid construction, such as powder-coated steel. You can check for weight ratings to determine how strong and sturdy a bench might be. I suggest going with something that can withstand at least 500–700 pounds, or even 1,000 pounds or more, which would include your body weight, force impact, and any weight you are lifting.” Steel frames are also a great pick for durability.
- Storage: Some weight benches are foldable, while others, such as Olympic weight benches and preacher-curl benches, are fixed into position. Foldable weight benches are easier to break down and store, helping you save space when not in use. They’re also typically easier to set up. A drawback of foldable weight benches is that some may not be as stable compared to fixed-weight benches. Fixed-weight benches provide more stability when lifting and are generally great options for heavy lifters. Just keep in mind that they can be higher in cost.
- Accessories: Accessories like resistance bands, workout booklets, and access to online workout programs can be especially helpful for beginners or anyone who wants to get the most value out of their purchase. Some weight benches also provide attachments, like a preacher-curl pad, leg extension, and dip station, that allow you to do isolation exercises to work your biceps, quadriceps, and core.
Below are 13 highly-rated options based on customer reviews so you can choose the best weight bench for your home gym.
1. Bowflex 3.1S Weight Bench
Meeting your fitness goals and saving space in your home gym is easy with this Bowflex weight bench. This stable bench has a 480-pound weight capacity and can be adjusted at four angles (-20 degrees, 0 degrees, 45 degrees, and 90 degrees) so you can perform an array of exercises. Another perk: You can conveniently store it, providing over 50% space maximization when not in use.
Customer review: “This bench is great…so well-built and easily supports me when I’m lifting and pressing. The inclines are easy to change between, and my body feels comfortable on the firm but flexible bench pad itself…. Even easy to pick up and maneuver around or stand up to save space!”
2. Reebok Professional Multi-Purpose Home Fitness Deck Bench (47 in.)
If you’re looking for a versatile bench for your strength and cardio workouts, look no further. This deck bench by Reebok comes with more than 20 setup combinations. It can be adjusted to incline, decline, and flat positions to diversify your training, increase intensity, and work various muscle groups. A nice bonus: It comes with access to free online video workouts.
Customer review: “I think this is a great addition to a home gym setup. The multi-functionality makes it well worth the price. I use it for aerobics as well as strength training. I have used it both inside my house as well as outside. The clips for resistance bands on the ends of the decks are a really cool feature.”
3. Youten Adjustable Exercise Bench Press
Hit all your PRs with this 1,000-pound capacity weight bench. You can target a bunch of muscle groups at different angles with its nine backrest adjustments, four seat adjustments, and four leg-hold bar-position adjustments. Additionally, it’s designed with dragon flag handles, which gives you a grip for elevated push-ups. This weight bench is adjustable, comfortable, and foldable—making it an excellent choice for any home gym. It also comes with a workout chart with exercise options, so you can use your weight bench to the fullest.
Customer review: “This bench is so great! The rollers and handle make it super easy to maneuver, but I can pick it up easily. Love that the incline/decline locks in place so it doesn’t fall apart when you move it. Really easy to assemble, very sturdy, and solid.”
4. Flybird Weight Bench
This best-selling weight bench by Flybird has over 22,000 ratings on Amazon. Reviewers consider it a great strength training adjustable bench. Made with a strong support frame and wear-resistant leather for maximum durability and comfort, this weight bench has eight backrest positions and three seat positions with an 800-pound weight capacity. No assembly is needed—plus, it saves 80% space when not in use.
Customer review: “I cannot say enough good things about this bench. It is pure perfection! Super easy to assemble— unfold and boom—you are ready to go. But the best part is that it is sturdy but not overly heavy. I easily move it around my workout room. And the cushioning—wow! I would describe it as plush! Best investment ever!”
5. Kingmazi Adjustable Weight Bench
From its price point to its versatility, there are plenty of reasons why this weight bench is widely loved on Amazon. It has six back adjustments and four seat adjustments, and comes with a set of resistance bands for a variety of workouts for full-body training. It’s made with heavy-duty steel and high-quality leather, and its foldable design makes it easy to assemble (and break down) to accommodate your home gym space.
Customer review: “I have to admit that this bench is excellent for the price, and it’s very strong and reliable. This already comes assembled, so all you have to do is set it up and get started. I also like that it comes with a book with instructions on how the bench could be set up in different ways and what exactly you need to know. This is excellent because after I’m done exercising, all I need to do is fold it, and I could easily fit it under my couch or under my bed.”
Denial of Responsibility! Anns News is an automatic aggregator of different sorts of content and media. In each post, a hyperlink to the original source or content creator is specified. All copyrights and trademarks belong to their respective, rightful owners and authors. If you are the owner/author of the content on this page and do not want us to republish it, please reach out to us at email@example.com. Any disputed content will be deleted within 24 hours.